To become a member of the Lonehill Residents Association NPC you have to apply for membership. Only once you become a member can you vote at the general meetings. Residents can attend meetings without being a member.
Please find a LRA Membership application on DOWNLOAD (or click on the link below) with the requirements to become a member. If you are eligible to become a member of the Lonehill Residents Association, complete the application form and either fax it to the LRA or drop it off at the LRA office. New members will be notified of their acceptance.
Become a voting member and have your say in how your community is managed. Get involved.
About the LRA
Lonehill is a suburb with a remarkable level of community achievement. The Lonehill Residents Association is arguably the most active residents association in South Africa. Eleven years ago, Lonehill was as crime ridden as the next suburb with murders and hijackings being the order of the day. After a particularly brutal attempted hi-jacking, a concerned group of residents banded together to ‘draw a line in the sand’ against the criminal elements trying to infiltrate the suburb. We are pleased to say that since then, the crime rate has dropped by more than 98% and has remained that way. This is a phenomenal achievement..
Residents contract directly with the Lonehill Residents Association for the provision of security services. This ensures that the residents control the service delivery. The LRA decided to appoint one proactive security company that would be answerable and accountable to the community. We invited 8 of the top security companies in Gauteng as well as those that already had a presence in Lonehill to tender for the contract. Fidelity Security Services won the tender and have worked together with us for the last 9 years, providing security services for our residents and businesses. The LRA also manages its preferred technical service providers. We can assist with all technical queries, quotes, alarms, electric fence and gate motor repairs and installations. Our technical service providers can also assist with intercoms, CCTV systems and more. Call-outs for billable work are charged at the low rate and are monitored by dedicated LRA staff.
The LRA, using Fidelity, offers the residents the following proactive security services:
- A state of the art control room based in Lonehill, dedicated to our suburb only
- Visible, proactive security on the streets of Lonehill via 24-hour “Bobbies on the Beat”
- Street patrollers monitored real time by GPS
- 24-hour rapid armed response provided by five dedicated reaction vehicles, two motor bikes
and two scooters based in the suburb
- All vehicles monitored real time by tracking systems
- At least 125 guards, 12 managers, supervisors and reaction personnel at any one time in the suburb a
as part of the Security Initiative, all linked via common radio frequency.
- More than 380 security personnel in total involved in the Security Initiative over the 3 shifts worked by
the security personnel in Lonehill.
- No lengthy contract periods. Clients sign with the LRA on a contract period suitable to the client with a
30- days written notice termination period.
- Subscribers can also benefit from a meet and greet service by reaction personnel to and from their homes
if required by arrangement.
- SMS alert and warning system, free to subscribers
The security initiative covers Lonehill, Lonehill East, Pineslopes and Beverley. Magaliessig residents are now also being encouraged to join as they form part of the same Community Policing Sector.
The Lonehill Residents Association manages more than 80 guarding contracts at various complexes, road closures and businesses. The vehicles, motorbikes, Bobbies and guards are all linked via common radio frequency with each other and with the control room so we are always aware of what is happening in the suburb. This is a proactive method of security control and not reactive, which alleviates many potential incidents.
The Lonehill Residents Association also has a team of voluntary observers, made up of your neighbours, who do at least one adhoc inspection per day to check on the guards and make sure that they are correctly uniformed with all the right equipment needed to carry out their duties. This helps us to monitor the service levels provided by Fidelity and ensures that they are being met and constantly improved upon.
A status meeting is held every Thursday morning where representatives of Fidelity Security Services (the Lonehill security team) and The Lonehill Residents Association are present. Residents are welcome to attend (by appointment).
There are several ways that one can subscribe to the security initiative:
- Monitoring and armed reaction (alarm in your home linked to the control room). The monthly cost for this depends upon whether you’re in a complex, road closure or free standing house
- Panic response only – the monthly cost for this also depends on whether you are in a complex, road closure or free standing house.
- You can also make direct monthly contributions towards the visible security (patrol bobbies, reaction vehicles).
- Residents who do not wish to subscribe to either of the above services take this route in acknowledgement of the difference this has made to the crime levels and safety in Lonehill. Please note that this contribution does not come with a reaction service.
In order to provide added value to the services we already provide for the residents of Lonehill, we have contracted in a team of paramedics to provide a quick response Medical Emergency Response service. The paramedics are all Advanced Life Support paramedics which means that they can legally carry out any duty that a qualified doctor can at the scene of an accident or medical emergency at your home. They operate within a defined radius of Lonehill and are required to be with the patient within 10 minutes of receiving the call out. This service is available on a subscription basis for as little as R70.00 per month.
The LRA employs an Estate Manager and a team of 12 gardeners who keep the suburb in pristine condition, thereby improving the quality of life and increasing property values. The team ensures that our public areas are kept neat, grass is mown, litter picked up, trees pruned, and it ensures that the council attends to pot-holes that can’t be fixed by the LRA. The Estate Management team is funded by voluntary contributions from residents and at present runs at a shortfall every month. The shortfall is funded by interest earned on the LRA bank accounts. We urgently require additional contributions towards this fund. Any resident who contributes R60 or more per month is then entered into our monthly EnviroFund draw and each month one winner receives R5 000 in vouchers which can be redeemed at participating shops in the greater Lonehill area.
Our Joint Operational Centre from where we manage the area and provide a point of information, assistance and problem resolution for all Lonehill area residents needs to expand. Camera systems are being installed in Lonehill and new equipment must be introduced. For this we need funds, and we ask every household or new resident in the area to contribute R 1 500.00 to our capital fund.
We have a phenomenal infrastructure that works and is to the benefit of all residents. We need residents to take ownership of this community project and continue supporting it in order to grow the level of security provided.
HOW DOES ONE SUPPORT THE INITIATIVES . . .
– Whatever security services you require, get them through the LRA and its security provider.
– Make a monthly contribution (preferably a complex contribution, collected via your monthly levies) to the visible security infrastructure. It is the visible security that keeps crime away from our suburb.
– Make a monthly contribution of R60.00 pm to the EnviroFund which keeps our parks and pavements tidy and be part of our monthly draw to win R5000 in Shopping Vouchers
– Contribute towards the capital fund, be it once off or in installments.
– Join the observer team: spend two hours a month to ensure our security team is up to standard, at all times properly equipped and on duty as required.